Issue #3: Winter 2014
Welcome to the Winter issue of the Metrapanel Newspanel. Metrapanel is proud to be celebrating 25 years, producing over 9,000 houses!! '25 years proven' offering more house and a stronger house for your money - the robust, durable and energy efficient alternative!
Highlights from the last quarter:
- Two Metrapanel Installers on the Housing New Zealand panel
- Metrapanel a Finalist in the Safeguard NZ Workplace Health & Safety Awards.
- Metrapanel a guest speaker at the PrefabNZ cluster events
- Metrapanel becomes a member of NZGBC, Homestar Certified
- Metrapanel celebrating 25 years in producing panelised constructions
- Metrapanel Installer Team Event held in June
- Metrapanel Lifemark Certified
- Admire Interiors and Palliside new strategic partners with Metrapanel
- Metrapanel launches three Envirolife plans
- ICS secure distribution of safe ceilings through Placemakers Riccarton
In the media
- Metrapanel features in Business North page 27; 'Metrapanel has formula for success... read more
- Laing Properties feature in Abode magazine page 38-39; Fully extruded home using Metrapanel H section joiners – no plaster joins! Click here to view
- Metrapanel announced as a finalist in the Site Safe Health & Safety Awards read more
Metrapanel's main focus is to keep their team safe.
In 2013, Metrapanel established an onsite Health and Safety training programme for certified installers to use when installing Metrapanel. This initiative secured Metrapanel a spot in the 2014 New Zealand Workplace Health & Safety Awards. With 520 attendees, Metrapanel was proud to be selected as a finalist for these awards.
- TVNZ ONE News - Christchurch City Council rebuild; 12 units completed for the elderly in Spreydon Read more
In the office
- Metrapanel launches Envirolife plans - now available.
Metrapanel has recently established three new Envirolife plans that are Homestar and Lifemark Certified; the Metra Black Robin, Metra Kakapo, and Metra Rata. that These plans offer sustainability and have been designed to work for the lifetime of our customers.
To view the plans click here
Metrapanel's valued Strategic Partners.
Working together to provide stronger houses for your money - robust, durable and energy efficient.
Laminex New Zealand
Laminex New Zealand and Metrapanel are strategic partners with a strong 25 year history. The Laminex Group support Metrapanel in offering the following:
|Companies with strong brands||Confidence in the quality and availability of materials, therefore reduced risk for building projects|
|History of strategic partnership (25 years)||Trust and evidence that Laminex and Metrapanel work cohesively together to deliver innovative building solutions|
|Solution focused||Laminex providing solutions for all applications using Metrapanel construction systems for the most integrated modular home solution|
|Wide range of decorative and panel products available from Innovative panel-based construction||30-50% faster than traditional construction methods generating cost savings due to reduced labour, lower plastering costs, less wastage on site and reduced paint costs (all panels are pre-primed)|
“With the combined expertise of Laminex NZ manufacturing and the Metrapanel passion and vision for building construction, this provides New Zealand with an innovative panel construction system perfect for modular homes.” - Richard Pollington, General Manager, Laminex New Zealand.
Metrapanel is a true believer in providing an environmentally sustainable system to produce healthy homes for New Zealanders. Recently launching three new Envirolife plans; Metra Black Robin, Metra Kakapo, and Metra Rata which are all Homestar appraised and design rated 7/10 by the NZGBC. The plans are also Lifemark certified.
Metrapanel is a founding member of PrefabNZ. PrefabNZ are a self-sustaining non-profit incorporated society informing a wide range of public, private, and government stakeholders. PrefabNZ are focused on growing the positive perception of prefabrication in NZ significantly which is important in meeting the demand of today’s market. Metrapanel supporting PrefabNZ:
• PrefabNz's annual conference in March.
• Metrapanel were guest speakers on Urban Development at their Auckland cluster event in Auckland. See presentation here
• Coming up – PrefabNZ Christchurch cluster event to be held on 31st July. Key speakers include Duncan Leadley from Innovative Ceilings Systems speaking about safe ceiling systems. Bernard Fenton will be speaking on Metrapanel's speed and quality/solutions for the Canterbury rebuild.
To register for this event click here
Lifemark is based on five key principles; Accessibility, Adaptability, Usability, Safety and Lifetime Value. The Lifemark is an independent seal of approval which represents adaptable and accessible home design, making it safe and easy for all New Zealanders to live in their own home for as long as they want.
Metrapanel is proud to be associated with five Platinum Installers who are Lifemark members; Homes by Legacy, Fusion Homes, Laing Properties, PLB/Builtsmart and Panelwood Homes.
With the demand for quicker and more affordable building solutions, Palliside weatherboards are increasingly being seen as the smart choice. Palliside compliments the Metrapanel system by offering many of the same benefits:
• Reduced Maintenance
• Made in New Zealand
• BRANZ appraised
• Proven performance
• More usable floor space
• Complete system
• Lifemark accredited
• Member of PrefabNZ
• Sustainable and recyclable
• Cost effective
The combined systems of Palliside – Metrapanel offers solutions to the current building crisis in New Zealand. See presentation here
In the field
- Residential Highlighted Project - Fully extruded home with no plaster joins completed by Laing Properties.
The home's significant points of difference are:
• Lifetime Design Standards
• LED lighting
• High insulation rating
• Full extrusion home with no plaster joins
- Commercial Highlighted Project -11 storey commercial fit out completed by Scarbro Construction.
This project is comprised of nine levels of apartments, 14 on each floor and two levels of retail. Located in Manukau, Auckland, Metrapanel walls were used to construct the internal walls of the apartments...Read more
- Metrapanel for Social Housing
Mayor Lianne Dalziel is joined by Fusion Homes Director Chris Haughey (left) and new tenant Alfred Roberts in opening Christchurch City Council’s new social housing units at the Maurice Carter Courts complex, in Spreydon….read more
In the community
- Metrapanel Team Event held on 20th June was a huge success. A special thanks to all of our guest speakers and also to Graeme Sinclair, Lifemark Ambassador for sharing his and Sandy’s personal journey, enforcing what the Lifemark brand is all about.
- David Cunliffe visits Metrapanel. On Wednesday 9th July, we had the pleasure in meeting Labour party members; David Cunliffe, Simon Cunliffe, Moeroa Devonshire, Sue Moroney, Janine Jackson, Christine Greer, and Cliff Allen. David was interested to learn about the Metrapanel System, giving us a generous two hours of his time.
During their visit, Labour emphasized their focus on supporting community growth. David believes that supporting young people through the transition period from school in to the work force is the way forward. For this to happen, Labour feels that time needs to be invested in to getting kids “work ready” by providing pre-employment programmes that offer pathways to the industry or apprenticeships to senior secondary and tertiary students. David Cunliffe said that “ in an ideal world, everyone would either be employed or in training”….”for us to get there, we need to prepare our youth for employment and that should begin at school.” He wants to subsidize employers to take on apprentices rather than pay people to stay at home on the dole. He also spoke about raising the minimum wage.
Other points of interest discussed:
• Building consent standardisation
• Making Kiwisaver compulsory at 3-4%
• Pre-employment apprenticehips being paid for by the government.
• Money rebate for R & D rebate on tax
• Labour would like to see 100,000 new homes built, 10,000 per year over the next ten years with the Kiwi Build scheme.
In the industry
Metrapanel is 25 years proven, producing over 9,000 homes. We currently have a network of 35 Licensed Installer Agents throughout New Zealand with 62 Certified Builders.
With further capacity to take on extended growth throughout New Zealand we are currently looking for reputable companies that build 20+ homes, have good systems and processes in place, and are respected in the industry.
Focus areas are Auckland and Wellington. For expressions of interest please contact Melissa Savage Business Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
- EVENTS coming up:
- PrefabNZ Cluster Events 2014: Auckland 31 July, Wellington 11 September, Christchurch 23 October, Auckland 4 December
- Building Hub Roadshow: Nationwide, various dates
- BRANZ technical Update Series: Nationwide, various dates in July
- BUILDNZ/DesignEx Canterbury, Christchurch 31 July – 2 August 2014
- Building a better New Zealand Conference, 3 – 5 September, Auckland
- NZ Property Expo, November 2014, Auckland
In the product range
Grooved Board; Metrapanel is now producing grooved wall and ceiling sheets. We are currently looking for expressions of interest in this product.
- 25mm grooved ceiling sheets
- 36mm grooved wall panels both 7350x2450 in size
- Grooved solid Metra doors
In the team
Click here to view Metrapanel Certified Installer Profiles and Show Home locations.
- Congratulations to Builtsmart and Maxim Homes Ashburton, two Metrapanel Installers that have been successful applicants in the Housing New Zealand 2013 Redevelopment Panels RFP.
Next update in September 2014 - Spring issue!
Until then, have a great few months and feel free to give Melissa Savage, Business Manager, a call direct on 07 828 2077 or email to discuss any projects or opportunities you would like to investigate using Metrapanel for.