Issue #2: Summer 2014
Welcome to Metrapanel, NZ's most long-standing '25 year proven' panelised housing system... for more house and a stronger house for your money - the robust, durable and energy efficient alternative!
The concept of Metrapanel is brilliantly simple: solid walls, floor and ceiling panels pre-cut to simplify and speed up construction.
Metrapanel started with a big bang in 2014, being our busiest January in the last five years, congratulations to the team and everyone involved. Therefore, it is with great pleasure we bring you our first issue of the Metrapanel Newspanel for the year.
Highlights from the last quarter were:
- Working with Richard Pollington (new General Manager, Laminex NZ). Laminex NZ supporting Metrapanel for Innovative Building Construction
- Being the chosen product for Christchurch City Council's social housing pilot project of 12 homes
- Being the main sponsor of the Habitat for Humanity 'MetraBigTownBuild' in Whangarei in November
- Panel housing now being recognised and listed as an accepted option in the new ‘National Supply Agreement’ and government departments finally accepting Metrapanel as an acceptable building solution
- Achieving Classification 1S Fire Rating for the NZBC and 1 for the NCC, through working closely with Resene Paints Limited, one of our Research and Development Partners, and completing Fire Testing with BRANZ under the new testing requirements
- Receiving fantastic results from our Annual Installer Survey, Customer Service up by 11%, professionalism 62% Excellent, 38% Good, with no poor rating
- Becoming a Lifemark member and enjoying a day out fishing with Graham Sinclair in Auckland
In the media
- Metrapanel features in Christchurch Press; 'Metrapanel nails contract for kitset homes... read more
- ICS have a Case Study live on the 'Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment' website... click here to view
- Site Safe Construction Health & Safety Awards winners are announced... read more
- Metrapanel launched as a Newly Accredited Lifemark partner... read more
- Habitat for Humanity 'Metra Big Town Build' in the NZ Herald, their fantastic time lapse video is live on their Website, and updates are on their Facebook Page.
- Metrapanel out and about with Installers Kbuilt and Laings exhibiting at the Waikato and Canterbury Homeshows...
- Conversation on Ecobob - by independent architect 'Sceptics'... read more
- Metrapanel sponsor the BRANZ 'Getting to Grips with Prefab' seminar series
- Metrapanel sponsor the PrefabNZ Conference
- Live on LinkedIn... click here to follow and recommend the products
- Design guide advert - A brand new publication specifically targeting consumers in the design phase of a building project, right when they're at the crucial stage of deciding on what products will be going into their home. Promoted to architects to use with their clients and distributed to 7,000 total circulation.
In the office
Metrapanel has a strong focus on establishing and developing solid working relationships with Strategic Partners and this last quarter has been heavily involved with…
- PrefabNZ. By combining our 2014 Marketing Calendars, PrefabNZ and Metrapanel aim to grow the positive perception of prefabrication in NZ significantly this year... read more
- The Laminex Group. As a strategic partner of Laminex NZ's we have a key accountability role around sustainability, and by working closely with Rebecca Page 'Sustainability Advisor' we are continuously ensuring our environmental impact and wastage is... read more
- Safewise. Health and Safety continues to be a crucial part in the role Metrapanel upholds in the industry. With 56x Certified Builders achieving their Health & Safety Training certificate in the last quarter only, this... read more
- BRANZ. A long standing history with BRANZ, holding a BRANZ Appraisal since 2007, Metrapanel is a familiar product name in the industry. More recently, by aligning our 2014 Events Calendars, you will see Metrapanel positioned alongside ‘traditional building’ players..... read more
- Lifemark. Working with new General Manager 'Geoff Penrose', our own set of Certified Lifemark Plans have been developed, and with Platinum Installers; Homes by Legacy, Fusion Homes, Laing Properties and PLB/Builtsmart also as Lifemark members, we are confident that as a group we will continue to exceed the expectations of the Retirement and Social Housing markets... read more
In the field
- Metrapanel for Sustainability. Corrections facility is the first project to achieve 7/10 HomeStar rating, and Kakariki House is the first GreenStar Building in the Waikato
- Metrapanel for Retirement. Eight retirement units built in January alone. Now six villages throughout New Zealand completed to-date... read more
- Metrapanel for Social Housing. 12 Christchurch City Council units completed with move in date planned this month... read more
Completed by Platinum Installer 'Fusion Homes'
- Metrapanel for Schools. 21 classroom blocks and three toilet blocks completed during October-January for Bayfield School and The Gardens School. 24 buildings in total!... read more
- Metrapanel for Schools. Classrooms and Science Laboratories for Rangiora New Life School. The project involved the construction of a new classroom block which incorporates two science labs, two classrooms, three offices, a prep room for the labs, and storage. The entire floorspace is over 500m2... read more
Bayfield School and The Gardens School project completed by Platinum Installer 'PLB/Builtsmart'
Rangiora School project completed by Platinum Installer 'Maxim Homes Ashburton'
In the community
- Habitat for Humanity. Metrapanel has a long standing history with Habitat for Humanity, completing 40+ homes to-date. Keith Hunt was the founder of panel housing in NZ and also one of the founders for Habitat for Humanity. We are delighted that the wonderful and deserving Whangarei family receive their key’s in early-April to the home built for them as part of the MetraBigTownBuild in November…read more
- The Netherville Retirement Village. The very first large project completed using Metrapanel back in the 90's. The Dutch Village was formed by a group of Dutch friends that immigrated to NZ and wanted to form a village to make sure friends and family were kept close. At the time, the founders had no money and our product was yet to be proven. Upon a handshake the two parties took a gamble and proceeded to do business. 20+ years later…read more
In the industry
Metrapanel is already here, and has been for the last 25 years. With a strong history boasting only positive experiences and a network of 35 Licensed Installer Agents and 62x Certified Builders, we have the capacity to take on extended growth throughout New Zealand. So why are New Zealand giants looking elsewhere and reinventing the wheel.... See articles below... Thank you Pamela Bell, PrefabNZ, for reinforcing that New Zealand already has a solution in the market...
- Pamela Bell, PrefabNZ, discusses prefabrication technology on Radio New Zealand, along with Grant Porteous (GJ Gardiner) and Philip King (Fletcher Building), click to listen
- Factory Built Homes on Way, read more
- New venture a big boost for construction, read more
- EVENTS coming up:
Events and Expo's
- Christchurch Rebuild & Renovate, 22-24 March
- PrefabNZ 2014 Conference Auckland, 26-28 March
- Cluster Events 2014: Christchurch 8 May, Wellington 19 June, Auckland 31 July, Wellington 11 September, Christchurch 23 October, Auckland 4 December
- BRANZ 'Getting to Grips with Prefab' Seminar Series, 17-21 March
- Building a Better New Zealand Conference', 3-5 September
In the product range
- Technical Data Library now available - contact Melissa Savage for your access password
- Product has Classification 1S Fire Rating for the NZBC and 1 for the NCC. Results from the fire testing according to BRANZ test report FH 5334-TT : These results allow us to offer our clients peace of mind and enable the use of this building material in commercial areas to meet the requirements of the building codes both in New Zealand and in Australia. Click here to view the Resene Fire Ratings Chart.
Building Code Document
NZBC Verification Method C/CM2 Appendix A,
- Group Number Classification 1-S
NCC Volume One Specification C1.10 and A2.4,
- Group Number Classification 1
- METRAextrusions, including; 18mm H-section, Square-post corner mould, Standard 36mm H-section, Negative detail joiner for ceilings. This is an economical solution which reduces plasters costs significantly and cracking on joins.
180sqm home using Metrapanel Extrusions completed by Platinum Installer 'Laing Properties'
In the team
Click here to view Metrapanel Certified Installer Profiles and Show Home locations.
Congratulations to Platinum Installer 'Laing Properties' on the launch of their new website
Welcome to the team, two new Silver Installers 'Alpha & Omega Construction' in Auckland and 'Tradeline Builders' in Whangarei
A fun time was had by all ages at our end of year Metrapanel staff and family Christmas function! Pictures speak a thousand words…Fire engine and stock crate rides for the kids! Foam for everyone! The 'bar building competition' using Metrapanel!
Metrapanel had the running buzz in November, with a small team participating in the Hamilton 'Round the Bridges' run, and, Stacey our 'Office Administrator', taking part in the 'City of Rotorua half marathon'. Well done!!!!
Next update in June 2014 - Autumn issue!
Until then, have a great few months and feel free to give Melissa Savage, Business Manager, a call direct on 07 828 2077 or email to discuss any projects or opportunities you would like to investigate using Metrapanel for.